11.03.2014

New England Autumn (And Other Wonderful Things)

This is our backyard (I actually had to TONE DOWN the saturation
because it was ridiculously bright)
We've been so busy enjoying our autumn here in Connecticut I just haven't found the time to update the blog. There are so many things to do here that I just can't justify staying indoors for a few hours to sit at the computer (forgive me!). Our family took a trip to Saratoga Springs, NY and then another weekend trip to New Hampshire. The views were breathtaking, I wish I had pictures to post but every time I took one I had to delete it because it just didn't do the leaves justice. Sorry guys, I guess you'll just have to come visit us next fall :)

In the latest news, Aaron passed his fourth actuary exam!!! Seriously, this was HUGE for him. One more test to pass and Aaron will have his ASA (lower certification for actuaries). He worked so hard and I'm not surprised he passed. 

I've been working on learning the technique of levain (sourdough), so far it's been pretty good. In case you aren't familiar with levain, it's wild yeast. Before there were labs and factories to mass produce homogeneous strains of yeast, people used wild yeast they grew in their own kitchens. I find it absolutely fascinating that you can catch and "feed" your very own yeast, and utilize your little friends to leaven your breads. In the process of learning the best way to feed and care for my yeasty friends I got them a little sick, so they are recovering in my kitchen right now. I'm taking a step back from wild yeast while they get back to health. For now I dug out my commercial yeast that was tucked away in the back of the fridge. Once I get the hang of it I'll post a little bit about my adventures on the blog.



The other thing I've been working at is figuring out the best way to meal plan for our family. I've tried a couple different methods that haven't quite worked for our family, but I think I've finally figured out the best and most effective way to plan out meals. I'm doing a trial run this month, I'm crossing my fingers that it will work out well. 

Sawyer has changed so much since the last time I posted on the blog. He's running around (probably the cutest little run I've ever seen) and talking up a storm.

He said a three-word phrase the other day that blew me away. Okay, so the content wasn't mind blowing, but the fact that three words came out at once were exciting. He loves to ask "whas dat?" (translation: what's that?) all the time, but this time he saw me holding a book and asked "What's that book?" It actually came out like this "whas da buh?" but I knew exactly what he meant.

Aaron and I have tried keeping track of all the words he uses on a regular bases and it's about 25. He can say a lot more, but most he doesn't use more than once or twice.

Physically he is a tiny guy, seriously. Two separate people asked if he is 8 months old. AND THEY WERE PARENTS! I concluded that they have gigantic babies :)
Sawyer is tall (he wears 12-18 month size clothing for height) but really thin (he could wear 6 month clothing for his waist). Since he eats a good amount of food, is very active, and sleeps well his doctor said there is nothing to worry about. (But I still sneak in some coconut oil in his smoothies)


Sawyer's eyes have a little bit of both Aaron and I; they are my shape, but he got the color and long lashes from Aaron.


I wish I could say I posed him this way, but he's actually admiring an airplane :)





For Halloween he was the mouse from "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" since it is one of his favorite non-truck books.
 


I can't get over the cuteness of this little guy, especially in the mornings when he wakes up all bright-eyed and bubbly. I wish I could bottle up some of that sweetness and save it forever. It's bittersweet to see him growing up so fast. I love to see him reaching new stages and milestones, but I mourn for the previous stages that were so endearing. I guess we'll just have to have another one ;)

1 comment:

  1. I want to hear more about these smoothies you make for him! What do you put in them? I want to make one for Lydia!

    ReplyDelete