11.09.2011

Teriyaki Sauce

Aaron and I have been trying to find ways to eat healthy but not spend a ton of time and money either. This week our shining moment was getting a Bountiful Basket which had a ton of fresh stir-fry veggies and then blanching them and making bags of stir-fry for freezer meals. I didn't want to buy teriyaki sauce from the store because the main ingredient is... (drum roll)... High fructose corn syrup. I don't know about you, but I just don't want to eat corn syrup on top of my healthy stir fry. So, this inspired me to search for a healthier alternative. I enjoyed it a lot better than the store brands, but Aaron wasn't crazy about it. He said it was "all right" but he still likes the store brands better. If you are brave enough to try it let me know if you like it and if you made changes.

Teriyaki Sauce
Adapted from Food.com

1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 - 2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
  1. Mix all but cornstarch and 1/4c water in a sauce pan and begin heating.
  2. Mix cornstarch and cold water in a cup and dissolve. Add to sauce in pan.
  3. Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness.
  4. Add water to thin if you over-thick it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment