1.14.2012

Weekend Project: Camera Strap Cover

This week my lovely parents bought me a lens for my camera; A Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 (lots of gibberish for non-photographers), and since my mom gave me her old Canon Rebel she pretty much gave me everything I need to take pictures! Thanks mom! Now I just need to get an editing program to get the colors and lighting right.
Anyway, I was looking at the strap and thinking, "this needs to be be-dazzled." I found this camera strap cover tutorial and decided I just had to make one. 

Here are the directions in case anyone would like to make one too!

Camera Strap Cover with Lens Cap Pocket
Finished length is 24.5 inches (62.2 cm) and 2.75 inches (7 cm) wide.



Supplies:
Fabric (various prints for the patchwork strap or 2 prints for the solid)
Thread
Heavy Weight Fusible Fleece (I used Pellon that you can find almost anywhere that fabric is sold)
Fusible Interfacing (doesn't matter what kind, I used Pellon)
Scissors
Rotary cutter/mat (optional but suggested)

Cut:

Fabric: {2} 26.5 x 3.75 inches (1 piece for front of strap and 1 for back)
Pocket Piece: {1} 5.5 x 3.75 inches (I used a contrasting fabric)
Interfacing: 3.5 x 2.75 inches (layer 2 pieces if your interfacing is lightweight)
Fusible Fleece: 24.5 x 5.5 inches





  • Once you have {2} pieces (one for front of strap and one for the back) measuring 26.5 x 3.75 inches, make your pocket piece. Center your piece(s) of interfacing on the back of the pocket piece and fuse. Fold the end over 1/2 inch and then fold again to create a finished edge for the top of the pocket. Stitch this down using two rows of stitching. Line up the unfinished edge of your pocket piece with the end of your strap piece and baste.




  • Lay your two 26.5 inch pieces together right sides facing and sew along one of the long edges using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Press open seam.

  • Center your piece of fusible fleece on the wrong side of the piece you just sewed and fuse. You should have about an inch of space on either short end and 1/2 an inch on either side of the fleece. Next, fold up the short ends 1/2 inch then another 1/2 inch. Press and stitch 2 lines on both ends.



  • Now fold your strap cover in half lengthwise, right sides touching, and sew a 1/2 inch seam. Trim the seam down to about a 1/4 of an inch. Turn right side out and press, press, and press.
All Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment